Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Morning Sunshine! How to Radiate Confidence and Feel It Too by Robin Meade of HLN's Morning Express

Not only did I mention this book to one of my mentors, but also to my parents, Connie and anybody who would listen. I LOVED it! I learned so many useful tidbits from this book to improve my confidence. 

One of the concepts that she worked on with her therapist is her need to be liked by everyone as a people-pleaser. Her therapist asked her why it is good to be liked and at first, she couldn't think of any reason, but after contemplating the question, she came up with a thousand reasons. Just think about it and you'll be able to do the same. 

She's amazing, because of her ability to make fun of herself, while teaching the reader something valuable on promoting self-confidence. How would you make yourself more confident? Well, she'll tell you a million and one reasons, but you have to choose the ones that work best for you. I sure did. 

As I was reading, I started creating lists analyzing myself in different ways such as what I really love about myself or what I am grateful for, etc. For example, I wrote, " I am grateful for my optimistic outlook on life." The glass is always half full in my life.

I realized that I need more balance in my life too. If someone calls me a bitch or is demeaning towards my work, then I should look at how it might be true and how it might not be true. I am more bitchy to my parents in ways that I am not towards my friends. 

Anybody who is starting work soon should know not to be too modest, never make jokes about yourself and don't discount your productivity, because people will interpret everything in a special way and you never know how a negative statement about yourself may impact you down the line. Especially for women, we need to be extremely careful about acting in a self-deprecating manner to ensure that nothing is used against us, when we least expect it. Plus, people form opinons based on how we view ourselves, so we need to show them the confident side of our personality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.